I leave for London on February 4th. Many people question why I am making this move. There has been criticism and judgement. The great thing is i don’t need to justify myself or anything to anyone in this world because the only person’s opinion that matters in situations like these, is mine. Only I have to be happy, comfortable with my decisions. And usually, when people are judging, they are only trying to make themselves feel better about their own lives. Apparently attempting to put people down is how they try to achieve this but my theory is they are only left feeling even more empty and hopeless. Deep down.
So, i know its going to be cold. I know there is little sun. I know I will miss home. I know its going to be a struggle at times.
But i always have Cape. Town. I always have home. It will, a-l-w-a-y-s be here.
And experiences are priceless. I’m sure I will appreciate my home and my family and my life here so much more once I have left. But once I come home after years of experience abroad – meeting new people, learnings to things, overcoming challenges and visiting the most beautiful places in the world with the man i love – I will appreciate that too.
Nothing has felt more right.
And at times when I’m over there, it may feel really wrong. And I’m sure I will blog about that too. Thank goodness. But isn’t that part if life? Or do we just remain comfortable. For.Ever. Thats my worst nightmare. Boredom. Complacency.
So, all the shit weather and shitness some of you are convinced I will encounter, aside… here are the things I look forward to, over the seas.
- Cooking dinner with my very special brother who i have not lived with since i was 14.
- Shopping for new winter boots.
- Wearing new winter boots.
- Visiting Vida in Regent St. Not for the coffee, for the familiarity.
- Travelling to and from anywhere, on my own, using my own two feet, not 4 wheels.
- Finding my new comfort foods. Here ,it’s ouma rusks and lindt. There, what will they be?
- Seeing old friends.
- Buying a beanie.
- Buying a scarf.
- Buying gloves.
- Wearing my new beanie, scarf and gloves.
- Hot coffee on a cold morning.
- Running in the cold.
- Discovering new places and things.
- Travelling to Germany to visit my love.
- Weekend in the South of France, Saint Tropez to be exact.
- Even if its expensive, I will go to at least one show before I am broke.
- Journal writing in coffee shops.
- Blogging in coffee shops.
- Fast internet.
- New job.
- New challenges.
- Overcoming new challenges.
Feel free to add to this list. I would appreciate it if you did, actually.